June 13, 2003
Surf Ballroom -
Clear Lake, IA
Illegal Smile [John Prine]
All My Life
[Aaron Allan story]
Ballad of the Devil's Backbone Tavern
Ballad of the Kingsmen
Better Than Ever Blues, Part 2
[Frazier, TN/Moondawg story]
My Generation, Part 2
Talkin' Seattle Grunge Rock Blues > I Shall Be Free, No. 10 [Bob Dylan] >
Talking New York [Bob Dylan]
[Moondawg's funeral story]
Fish and Whistle [John Prine]
[Tillamook County story]
Tillamook County Jail
Easy Money > It's Only Rock 'n' Roll [Rolling Stones]
[15 minutes story]
Knockin' on Heaven's Door [Bob Dylan]
MEDIA: 1 DVD
TAPER: Ken Keiran
NOTES: A few very small recording issues during the show. Beer Run cut short and recorded on same chapter as Alright Guy
SCREENSHOTS: IMAGE 1 | IMAGE 2 | IMAGE 3 | IMAGE 4 | IMAGE 5
The usual "Fifteen Minutes story" is told this time as the "Twenty Minutes story." The version of the Moondawg's Tavern story during this show is very detailed and very entertainting. Fish and Whistle played on the mandolin. Todd plays the piano during the encore.
On Ballad of the Devil's Backbone Tavern:
On Statistician's Blues:
- "Now dirving's tough and the pay sucks and the hotels are weird and I can't, uh...some other lyric that I can't remember."
- "It's too short to memorize words that you can't think of 'til it's too late."
On Talkin' Seattle Grunge Rock Blues:
- "They say that 70% of all the world's statistics are made up and changed right there on the spot."
On Sideshow Blues:
- "Space needle. Eddie Vedder. Ichiro Suzuki."
- "It's hard to kick the door down when you ain't wearin' no shoes."
- "...in the Surf Ballroom with all you freaks and musicians."